Tis the Season for Pumpkin Puree, but step away from the pies and make a healthy meal that the whole family will enjoy! Conjuring up sauces is one of my favorite things to do, and it usually starts with what I have in my pantry and fridge to play with. If you love pumpkin and creamy sauces without major calories, this Easy 3-Step Dish must be on your To-Do List! Grocery stores are lined with Pumpkin Puree and holiday favorites, so without further adieu, I give you a Pumpkin Puree Sauce that you can marry with pasta, rice, quinoa, or veggies!
- 12 ounces penne rigate, or other short pasta ( I had some orecchiette in the pantry, but you can prepare a gluten-free pasta, rice, or veggie option)
- coarse sea salt
- ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon herbs de provence
- 1 can (15 ounces) pure pumpkin puree
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened vanilla
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes for heat, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1 package micro basil sprouts
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Reserve 2 cups pasta water; drain pasta and set aside.
Add pumpkin puree, garlic, almond milk, parmesan, cider vinegar, red-pepper flakes, cinnamon, 1 cup reserved pasta water, and sea salt & pepper to taste to pot. Stir sauce until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add pasta to sauce, and toss to coat. If sauce is too thick, add some reserved pasta water. Serve pasta sprinkled with micro basil sprouts, if desired, more red-pepper flakes.