After our Anniversary Vacation back to Nashville, TN., I could not wait to get home and try out Recipes from Merridee’s Bread Basket in downtown Franklin, TN. I picked up their Cookbook only to discover that their famous Chicken Salad Recipe was no where to be found! Luckily my Mother-in-law had their old cookbook which had this delicious and easy recipe…phew!
I am not sure if I just missed Merridee’s so much, or if it was a major pregnancy craving, but we had a Chicken Salad Sandwich for lunch 4 days out of the 9 that we were there…it’s that good y’all. Not only is the Chicken Salad just like Grandma used to make, their Oatmeal Bread is probably the most delicious home baked bread I’ve ever had (sorry Grandma). Stay tuned for that Recipe, I plan to make that next!
FAMOUS CHICKEN SALAD
- 1 lb of chicken tenders
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- place chicken tenders in a 9×9 glass pyrex dish.
- sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- pour 1 cup of buttermilk on top of chicken.
- bake until tender and no pink shows inside at 400 degrees, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- let cool and chop into cubes.
- add 1/3 cup chopped celery.
- add 1/3 cup mayonnaise (I used light hellman’s mayo…do not use miracle whip!!!)
- mix well and served chilled on a bed of lettuce or on sandwich bread.